Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Steampunk Altered Doll

Hello lovelies! I'm sharing a bit of fun today, in the form of "Steampunk Barbie". I created this project for Mixed Media Place's Go 3D challenge.

I've had this idea in my head for a while now and had the doll on stand by, ready and waiting to be altered!

Our girl's hair has been "gelled" with heavy white gesso and coloured with black mist - in a slightly Cruella fashion ;)

And the back view.Her clothes are orginals which I painted with black gesso then decorated with cotton wool "fur" and a feather neckline. I finished off with a spritz of mica mist.

The ripped, grungy skirt was made from fabric scraps and tulle net. I used Finnabair's checkered mask for some texture and of course some safety pins just *had* to be included.

All steampunk girls need funky canes, this one being made from a wooden skewer and some metals. And check out the large diamond!

I think one of my favourite elements to this creation was the top hat and head piece, which I made with some plastic oddments adding tulle net, deconstructered flower and feathers.

Bye for now,


  1. She is fantastic! Congratulations on a great project. I especially love her headgear! Julie

  2. Hi Fran. I am just a fresh follower. ;) I have to say this doll is fabulous. Love the goggles (or glasses)! You are a strong competitor in Creative Gym!

  3. Stunning!!! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!!!

  4. She's so special! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge! <3