Saturday 5 December 2015

Autumnal Earth


Hello again lovely readers!,

The creations keep a-coming this week, this time for my December feature on the Mixed Media Place blog. 

Although it is now Winter I was inspired by the rich rust coloured falling leaves of Autumn.  I wanted warm rich colours and thick, heavy, tactile textures evocative of autumnal earth. One of the things I like about that particular time of year is the way leaves peacefully fall down onto the ground below, almost feather like.


I covered the canvas with Heavy Gesso which was extra thick as I'd left the lid off for a few days (bad crafting trait!) so it was extra lumpy which makes for great ultra texture.




Once the gesso was dry I painted over it with Copper Crackle Paste then added glass glitter in areas to replicate grit in the earth. I then blended paints and mica powders around the canvas adding warmth with Prima pink chalk paint.  

To soften the composition I added mica flakes and scrunched up teared up book pages which I adhered to the canvas with 3D Gel so the paper kept it's dimension.



For the leaf, I die cut a piece of sheet copper then I hammered it for create indents then I've covered it with alchohol ink and black Ecoline ink to highlight and create veins on the leaf. Coiled copper wire was also used to create 3D leaf veins.

I hope you enjoyed the journey into autmunal beauty.


Hugs,



8 comments:

  1. FABULOUS WITH CAPITAL LETTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this via Marjie Kemper, brilliant and stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your technique hammered copper and the extra thick Gesso is Brilliant. I love working with copper sheets. This is an amazing piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golly - thats the most incredible use of lumpy gesso ever!!! So very beautiful - both organic and jewel-like. Found you thru Marjie. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  5. capital letters AGREED ABOVE!!! WITH WHYDUCKS - THIS IS SUPER AWESOME GORGEOUS !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow truly awesome canvas. I love autumnal colours and texture so this is pure heaven. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete