Monday 27 October 2014

Halloween Canvas Tutorial


Hello!

Hope you're all doing well. I can't beleive another Monday has rolled around again! So to brighten up the beginning of the week, I have another step by step for you today. I created this canvas for the  Halloween mixed media challenge over at the Artist Trading Post blog.





Another grungy, spooky offering from me here :) I just love creating Halloween projects, so fun and different from the norm!





Step 1: To start off I applied a layer of light texture paste to an A5 piece of hard board.






 Step 2: Placing a mask on top and gently applying pressure...

 

Step 3: I used a selection of orange inks and mists to add colour.




Step 4: Layering up numbers cut from a sheet of Tim Holtz 12x12, which I've painted with Platinum Crackle paste.


Step 5: Adding texture plaste around the canvas. I've been quite generous with it to give a lumpy and bumpy result!


Step 6: Adding hot glue and seed beads for more texture.



Step 7: Painting over  the beads and paste with Graphite Texture paste.




Step 6: I'm using more light paste in the middle of the paper compostition.




Step 7: Stamping into the damp paste. I do this very gently to avoid it sticking to the stamp too much.






Step 8: Time to start embellishing. The skeleton card is one I printed from the internet, which I've cut the rib cage from and the skull is actually a pencil eraser, which I'm slicing in half. Very apt for Halloween!


Step 9: I've cut a butterfly from a sheet of 12x12 (Tim H again) and stuck it onto the paste "wall", along with some ink highlights.




Step 11: Finally adding some stamped details.





Step10: The butterfly has been coloured with Pro Markers, mica powders and highlighted it with Ranger Enamel Accents. I've added some "junk" embellishments, text cut from a book, muslin and more hot glue trails for a spooky, spiders web effect. 



I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and it's got your creative juices flowing!



Hugs,



4 comments:

  1. Fabulous Halloween project! Love the textured background and the skull is great! Thanks for joining us at ATP Exchange. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful Halloween creation and its so kind of you to share the tutorial too. Love you MM background and the skull and butterfly look very spooky. Thank You for sharing with us at Artist Trading post...its great to have you here

    HUgs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning background to your canvas! Love the photos which show us how you layered up this creation with gorgeous details. Great idea to cut that skull rubber up too - I'll have to look for some for next year! Love this project.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at the ATP Exchange
    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing textures you've created here ! a Fabulous spooky canvas, thanks for joining us at the ATP Exchange x

    ReplyDelete